What do you do when blogging isn’t fun anymore?

Simple question open to a number of answers not the least of which is the equally simple….stop blogging.

That may well roll out given my November based wager but for the here and now I think I’ll just vent a little.

Little did I imagine that when I found WordPress in 2007 and started in2thefray  I’d actually enjoy it as much as I did. In the beginning I had a bizarre work schedule and a number of real world reasons to have  a tab (or two) open on the computer. As my real world schedule cluttered I had less opportunity to “travel” and therefore narrowed my wanderings. Well both  the real world and e world are getting a little nasty but perhaps more disturbing to me is the blatant dishonesty that is so prevalent today. Rhetoric of a partisan nature is one thing and troll tactics are to expected given the nature of the Web but flat-out lying? Call me naive,call me stupid but I thought some things were supposed to be better due to technology we all enjoy.

Politics make strange bedfellows is an old saying. I think more and more these days we’re waking up with full coyote mode in effect.

Wow does this post speak to me. There are days when I finish with a comment thread and I’m somewhere between depressed and outright angry. You and I differ on most things political but I feel when I “speak” to you that I am at least getting a fair hearing. I can’t say that for a lot of the other readers of my blog. Some make me “Rutherford-the-lib” and all their responses are aimed at this mythical stereotype. Others insist on characterizing facts as spin. Even to the extent that they refuse to acknowledge what is written in plain English before their eyes.

I think a distinction needs to be made in your premise. Blogging (for us at least) is a two part process. Part 1: Writing the blog entry, which I still enjoy immensely and I suspect you get satisfaction from it also. Part 2: Handling comments. This part, quite frankly, is optional. We choose to do it. This is the part that gets us down I think.

Stop blogging is one answer to your question. The other is “change topics”. My fantasy job is that of Matt Roush of TV Guide. I’d love to write a blog with TV reviews. But I do love politics and I do love writing about it.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy!

P.S. I had always assumed your blog predated mine by a good amount of time but it turns out we both started in 2007.

February 20 2007 with Gimme 5

On a “why I surf/blog” note there’s the story out of Germany.
    Church tax…..wow

Rutherford, what you pass out as fact is generally either the propaganda parroted by MSNBC, or cherry picked material so outrageously spun, you deserve to be treated with little respect.

Four examples of your created material you pose as fact:

(1) Obama saved us from a Depression
    (2) The debt downgrade wasn’t about debt but a lack of concession and cooperation
    (3) The economy is sound
    (4) Romney would be a failure as President.

You don’t blog in reality. You blog in conjecture and how you want the universe to be, not how it really is. You’re one of the worst I’ve come across marketing propaganda. And the closer the election draws close, the more detached you’ve become. I’m actually beginning to wonder if you’re not bipolar.

And you yourself have called yourself “lib” numerous times on your own blog, your twitter account, your radio show.

It’s not stereotype when it’s a personal admission.

If you’re a victim, it’s of your own doing. Time to gird your loins if you’re going to traffic in this type of forum.

However, I can understand the burnout.

5. Raji says:

“All Germans who are officially registered as Catholics, Protestants or Jews pay a religious tax of 8-9% on their annual income tax bill. The levy was introduced in the 19th Century in compensation for the nationalisation of religious property.

Apparently if you move to Germany you have to declare “if you believe or not”. I assume if you pay a 8% religious tax you don’t have to tithe.

6. Raji says:

Rutherford, blogging reminds me of hosting a great dinner party. You pick 8-10 diverse people, invite them for dinner, let the wine and food and thoughts flow. However, I have noticed in recent years the level of civility has diminished. Not only do you have to ask what they can eat, vegan versus meat, organic versus GMO products, you also have to know their politics. Sometimes It’s just not worth the effort.

Wow Alfie,

I had never heard that. I had no idea…no wonder Germany is going down the tubes.

Bet you dollars to donuts that with respect to Germany, history will repeat itself soon. And it will be ugly.

I’m actually beginning to wonder if you’re not bipolar.

Suffice it to say … I won’t touch that with a ten foot pole. Instead of gigging me how ’bout speaking to the topic of Alfie’s post? Oh that’s right … you can’t … you don’t blog.

Thanks for playing.

Raji, on some days … my thoughts exactly.

The article is interesting in that church officials seemed to have bought into this tax. The existence of the tax, which would trouble most Americans, is not what is at issue here. It’s the Bishop’s crackdown on non-payers that makes the story what it is.

I actually think a “religion tax” in this country might be an interesting compromise between the status quo and atheists who feel the church should not be tax exempt.

Actually though the root of this problem is the lack of a separation of church and state. I think most atheists would have a really big problem if their tax dollars were used to make the initial purchase and upkeep of church property.

I’ve done some reading up on the church tax thing . Its kind of bizarre and I’m still a little shaky on it all.
    It appears that the BBC is reporting on something that is actually not without precedent. It also appears R that the church goers still get to take a deduction on their church tax.
    The more I look at it the more it appears to be like state sanctioned tithing. Kind of takes away the whole generous,grateful heart thing.

Well isn’t the tithe itself kind of a “forced” generosity?

But atheists wouldn’t pay the tax. Remember that in Germany folks register their religion. Now if we go by the all money is fungible notion, then I completely agree with you.