Quick Frays:Obama’s college lie…

Real quick…

Obama is lying when he spins the college cost hike as a GOP beating of the poor college student. The sad truth is the high cost of education and that which is directly tied to the story at hand can be attributed to folks like…. Obama.

America’s colleges and universities have for a long time been welcoming unworthy throngs for the sole purpose to get the money. They embrace the simple capitalistic principle of supply and demand and pass on the costs to the students.Meanwhile the more left leaning of our nation have solidly sullied the minds of the citizenry that college is a must and anything less makes one unworthy in their circles. That’s how we get unemployed youth with no real prospects and a boat load of debt.The 1000 dollar increase secondary to interest rate adjustments is a piss into the sea when it comes to higher ed costs.The rates are also directly tied to simple capitalism.

This is cheap politics at play.If the young folks and their parents buy into this they clearly don’t deserve admission to uni’.

Meanwhile the more left leaning of or nation have solidly sullied the minds of the citizenry that college is a must and anything less makes one unworthy in their circles.

You do realize you’re channeling Rick Santorum right?

It is a very independent thought on my part and is a truth

3. Raji says:

Alfie, this is clearly politics at play regarding the interest rate. As stated below the 3.4% interest rate is short term for undergraduates as normally no payments are made until graduation. The rate increases to 6.8% when the loan becomes long term after graduation. Does no one ever stop to check facts? My daughters have been paying 6.8% for the past ten years regardless of the prime rate which is why this information raised a red flag to me.

“Democrats on the House Education and the Workforce Committee this week released a document detailing the increased costs to borrowers if interest rates on Subsidized Stafford loans increase from 3.4 to 6.8 percent, as they are scheduled to for loans issued as on or after July 1st, 2012

It is important to note, that in most states, loans at the 6.8 percent interest rate had longer repayment periods than loans at the 3.4 percent interest rate

Another caveat: The 3.4 percent interest rate applies only to undergraduates, but we are unable to determine the total loan volume only for undergraduate students.”

House Democrats’ Data on Student Loan Interest Rates Misrepresent the Problem

4. Raji says:

I agree with your independent thought but I cannot just attribute that thought to only the more left leaning….Many young liberals do not feel the need for higher education to obtain their goals.

Thanks for sharing that info Raji. I confess I glossed over the existence of any distinction re undergrad and higher. So that adds a level of awesomeness in some ways since the US system pretty much makes it that undergrad diplomas are now a beginning not an end.

My ire is placed on a system that I see dominated by the left leaning. Perhaps this is due to my zip code. I do know that many folks in my parts that clearly vote (D) are very vocal that their kids MUST go to college. They are flummoxed when I ask Why?

On a related note and one of some irony seeing as noted at R Yahoo/AP has been pissing me off today:

8. Raji says:

Actually that article could have been written 20 or 10 or 5 years ago. Job opportunities for college graduates wave up and down depending on the economy at the time. I had three daughters with basic college degrees and upon graduation in the 80’s they obtained jobs as bar tender/ stable hands/waitress, etc. In the long run it was the master degree they obtained ten years later which led to the their current employment. The education system as in current vogue is not the answer. Education should be structured towards the final goal and college is not necessarily the needed step.

God bless you! That IS the money shot.

Getting beyond my Rick Santorum cheap shot, I want to throw out a couple of ideas.

The first one is philosophical really. Since when was college strictly job training? In an ideal world, college is designed to broaden the mind and encourage critical thought. It also allows the student to drill down in an area of interest that cannot be done in high school. If that study leads to a job, fine, but I’m not sure in its purest sense college is meant to guarantee employment or even readiness for employment. How many of us, in our senior year of college faced that “what work experience do you have” conundrum? Can’t get a job because they want prior experience … can’t get the experience cos you can’t get a job.

The second issue arose on my Internet radio show last night. I took the liberty Alfie of reading some of this post on the air (I gave you attribution) and my co-host and I stumbled upon what I believe is a blind spot in your analysis. There was a time that you could graduate from high school in a manufacturing town and a job was waiting for you. Most of those jobs have now been outsourced. So your post ignores the fact that jobs that don’t require college level prep are now few and far between … particularly paying a living wage. Not everyone can manage working at Burger King.

You ignore the relationship of attending college to our current economy and job availability.

11. Raji says:

Rutherford, you are correct that in the purest sense college was not a designated stepping stone to employment. I’m not so sure the luxury of broadening the mind and encouraging critical thought is affordable anymore.

I’m not sure if you are aware that the first two years of college now has to cover basic courses like math skills and reading comprehension because students are unprepared coming out of high school. So it really boils down to a student having to obtain loans to obtain what our education system was supposed to have paid for. A master’s degree is equivalent to what we knew as a BA/BS degree in terms of critical thinking and broadening the mind.

I think Alfie is trying to point out the relationship of attending college to our current economy and job availability and why it is not feasible.

Secondary to my recent computer upgrade I’m without a good 5 or 6 charts and linkage regards US manufacturing issues.

Rutherford you lived in CT are you telling me you never experienced the “My little johnny must go to college,trade school is so beneath him (me)” schtick?
    I have seen it countless times in real life and the stats on burgeoning college admissions and everything tied to that backs me up as well.

Perhaps I’m just being clear enough so let me erase any disservice I’ve done to myself and others.

I support the idea of higher ed and in fact am a huge proponent of higher life long learning. It is that it is pretty clear we have turned higher ed into more biz than anything else and have crapped on everything in doing so.

The trades here in the states are dying for qualified entry level skill level folks. We have perverted our culture against going to trade school instead of college.
    We have ramped up tech jobs to require a BS. That is quite frankly BS. Many tech jobs could have been filled via certificate and on a stretch AS programs.
    Back to the trades…people love the green revolution thing. I listened on NPR about a school training folks for wind turbine maintenance jobs. Good salary good future. Having trouble getting on pace to meet the needs of the future,why? not because of them but the “only college for me” crap.

Cut across our economy and you will find where we the people have overwhelmingly bought into a fallacy of higher ed and what the value we place on blue and lets say gray collar jobs is.I’d add that the flip side of that is that we are failing to promote the high quality college/uni environment we need to stay competitive. Not good man.

But Alfie, this “status” of college is hardly new. In my late mother’s generation (she was born in the late 30’s) the phrase “first generation college graduate” was common and embraced with great pride. One of the rare examples of silliness on the part of my late grandmother was the belief that a college education not only made you job-ready but made you decent and moral. When some person would screw up, my grandmother used to say “I don’t understand, they went to college.”

Somewhere along the line, I’m guessing Eisenhower era, graduating from college became as essential to the American Dream as owning a home. (One might argue with that fallacy also …. home ownership particularly in the last decade has proven not to be the great idea it once was.) This was an American phenomenon, hardly just a liberal one.

Rutherford it is only recently that the issue has grown to be so unsustainable and obvious. I would put it to you that the phenom is younger than the mid 70’s at best.
    As for homeownership. It is better for all to be an owner as opposed to a renter,not the least of all society.