So I see the internet has hummed a little regards Perrys views on some things it is assumed he’d actively change in the US Constitution.Lets look at this.
1. Abolish lifetime tenure for federal judges by amending Article III, Section I of the Constitution.
Well I for one don’t disagree with this. In fact I fully support it. The easiest way to curtail activist judges yet allow jurists to attempt to be true to the office is to limit their time. Popular election isn’t a good way to establish a fair bench. Leaving people on the bench without a check is equally negative.
2. Congress should have the power to override Supreme Court decisions with a two-thirds vote.
This one is off base but I view those that support it do so due to the expediency of it all and the knee jerk reactionary aspect of it. No what you need to do is seat a Congress that passes laws that pass Constitutional muster. Overriding the Supremes is not a solution to a problem,in fact it is part and parcel to the problem that is the root of some of the more screwy Fed judiciary rulings.
3. Scrap the federal income tax by repealing the Sixteenth Amendment.
I don’t support this one but it does ring true in some populist circles. As far as executive proposals go this one is silly but not treasonous or so alien that Perry and others are to be feared.
4. End the direct election of senators by repealing the Seventeenth Amendment.
5. Require the federal government to balance its budget every year.