Shut the mother-f*@#er down!!!

Official White House photo of President Bill C...
Image via Wikipedia

I am loving the talk from inside the Beltway about a potential federal government shutdown. This isn’t 1995 folks and it isn’t so in so many ways.

The President

Let’s face it folks the POTUS of today is not the POTUS of ’95.

Obama has yet to prove he’s capable of much of anything. This kinda sucks since at least one of his stated positions on the current matter is

Federal spending must be tamed, the president said, but “let’s use a scalpel. Let’s not use a machete. And if we do that, there should be no reason at all for a government shutdown.”

Quite frankly I admire that position in fact I can say I outright respect it. If that gets me another Obama Pail so be it.

In that statement alone Obama allows the opposing forces to find some middle ground. It unfortunately also allows them to not even seek it thus leaving Obama to stones up and he doesn’t seem to have that. In fact as that unfurls he’ll continue to be viewed as a divider and not an unifier.

Clinton had the wily ways,stones and outside factors Obama does not. It is 2011 not 1995.

The Congress.

Emboldened then but better today

That’s right folks. The Gingrich group had something but it was based on a less than rock solid foundation. Newts Don Quixote moment was as noble as it was a tilt at a windmill. The Congress of 2011 is in a better position. The influx of the Tea Party sentiment combined by state level discourse (see Wisconsin for starters) allows the House Republicans to be firmer. The fact that they don’t control the Senate is even better. The House can be very revolutionary with the safety of knowing the Dems hold the Senate. Even if the media goes totally in the tank against the GOP the story will ultimately be a pro-GOP kind of thing in today’s environment.

The Country

It’s different now too!

Prosperity in 1995 allowed the public to fall in line with Clinton and chime in on the issue. In 2011 the economy is not doing the Happy Dance and we are by no means living in a FDR Keynesian wet dream moment in history. This one-two punch of new reality combines with the fact that the past two elections have only solidified the 50-50 divide of the country. We the People are in no mood for hearing about government spending without getting something done.

The bill has been posted and the people have not seen any benefit for payment thus far. Obama Care being a great example as well as the continuing operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. We are paying and, not getting anything until 2014?! That sums up the difference pretty well right there.

Shut the motherfucker down folks!

If furloughing the folks that process Social Security checks is the best thing anyone has to offer to threaten the GOP’s future with I got news for ya. That’s not a winner. Using a scalpel alone can assure the SS,Medicare folks stay on the job while the EPA,NEA,and a ton of others get some time off.The USPS is allegedly self-sufficient by statute so by all means use your franking privilege and write me all that’s wrong.

1. bvilleyellowdog says:

Regressives have very short memories and/or a death wish.

Actually I think I’ve outlined why its different now. You turn up to do the group-think vocab lesson ie Regressives and not much else. Thanks for the hit though.

3. PanAm says:

Well reasoned and well said, Alfie, and super layout… Thank you for the ideas and effort you put into the page.

4. bvilleyellowdog says:

It’s always different – but it never is. As usual it is about regressives not wanting to contribute anything to society – and to take yours too.

5. El Tigre says:

Feeling cheated Yellowdog?

bville I just don’t know what to say. I think it is different now. Again I’ve stated why I think this to be true.
    Tell me. How does it feel to see the Progressive movement fail? By that I mean surely you cannot hold onto the belief that your side is in control of the discussion,agenda etc. Surely you’d concede you guys have become divided and disgruntled??
    Perhaps not but then again I can’t help but believe you’re missing the transition here.
    It isn’t about Right v Left it’s about right v wrong.

7. bvilleyellowdog says:

Tell me. How does it feel to see the Progressive movement fail? LIE Give the fine job of self immolation the regressives are doing they will soon be gone once and for all. I see whites are a minority in Tulsa now LOL.

8. Hucking Fypocrites says:

“By that I mean surely you cannot hold onto the belief that your side is in control of the discussion,agenda etc.<LIE Last time I looked Obama was POTUS and the Senate was Democrartic. The regressives cannot pass anything w/o thier permission."

Last time I looked, the House was part of the legislative process. So Obama and the Senate can't pass anything without House permission, either. Which means that democrats do not "control the discussion" like they did with ObamaCare, which is what Alfie said.

"Surely you’d concede you guys have become divided and disgruntled??<<<LIE like the teabaggers and the GOP moneybaggers??? Fun watching them piss at each other."

Yes. Like them.

Just because there is division in the GOP house does not mean there is not division in the Democrat house.

Go look at the discourse after Obama renewed the Bush Tax Cuts and then come tell us how much Alfie is lying.