America…it really isn’t all that Right…

The title says it all but I should clarify and probably in doing confuse.

I do believe America is overwhelmingly “conservative” in its thought and actions. Given a fairly loose yet fair definition I think it is pretty clear that Americans still deserve the image of slightly prudish,frugal and predictable. this isn’t to be seen as a negative in my book. I’m just saying day in and day out the Americans as a group tend to plug away and do what needs to be done.

I believe history shows that the sum of Americas actions are a positive. That’s not to say all the addends are noble,proper,or right. I think no matter what though when you total the bill the United States of America,and its unique mix of citizenry are a decided plus for the World.

American image, be it the solid Yankee,the rugged Westerner or the genteel Southerner are all good symbols. They are also very much out of touch with what way too many of us have become.This is the biggest point of this post.

We the People have allowed our government to grow at every level , at every turn. Sure we are having a new Tea Party so as to rail against the machine,but we are also still allowing the checks,subsidies and programs roll in and on.

Desiring government service without being willing to pay for it isn’t a conservative principle. Wanting to cut government down to size is very much a conservative principle,it is sadly one that even many conservatives have forgotten. The problems this nation faces are directly linked to enjoying the fruits of bureaucracy without caring what that brought.

Way too many Americans have lost the stoic or self-sufficient identity of our ancestors.We the People have become We the Entitled. This is not good for our nation. The percentage of people in the cart is now greater than the number trying to push it down the road. This is unacceptable,or at least should be.

I’m not big on the stereotypical Liberal taking point, usually in op-ed or email form where you see a list of things like highways,cops and the Post Offices and why we need and use government. This is a dishonest and superficial approach. We need a better answer. We need the right answer.

1. bvilleyellowdog says:

…and as usual a lot of ranting and no concrete solutions for what to cut…. The regressives enjoy thier government benefits….

2. The Department of Education, The Department of Energy, and the EPA are all good places to start.

I’d follow that up with the Department of Transportation.

Then I’d strip the blanket jurisdiction over all American waterways away from the Army Corps of Engineers, and put in place the powers that it actually makes sense for them to have.

We could take a really hard look and a red pen to the budget of the Department of Agriculture.

Reducing the staff of the First Lady could save us some spendy gubbmint pensions and health care expenditures.

My suggestion would be a 50% salary cut for all federal employees, and elimination of their pensions, 403s and health insurance. And we can start with El NoBama and retroactively for the Yeller Dawg.

And since we are regressives and Yeller Dawg was a government lackey I’m sure, we can regress back retroactively to tax any benefits received for the last 20 years at the maximum allowable credit card rates interest available. If Poodle Dawg is unable to meet what ‘regressives’ deem the required monthly payment for interest, we will take payment from any equity is his primary residence until vanquished and foreclosed, and will be assigned to hard labor for his crime of abject stupidity against humanity. 😉

4. bvilleyellowdog says:

Chief assigned regressive cutter representative Ryan put up a budget cutting bill before Congress in February. How many of his fellow repubs are sponsors? 12. That says a lot. Any repub who forgets that repugs are all about tax cuts with a hefty dose of spending have very very poor memories indeed.

BiW, what? No cuts in the defense budget? Naaaah, I thought not. 🙂

When pressed, everyone points to penny ante stuff and that wonderful catchall “discretionary spending”.

Float that one and see how fast all the deficit hawks flee from the Republican Party.

P.S. Alfie …. thanks for enabling comment email subscription. Much appreciated!

NO SOCIAL SECURITY

I’ll go one better. Give me what I put into the fund, you can keep the part my company added for 20 years, let me out of it no strings attached, and we’ll call it even. And I want the check now.

And I’ll go for 20% cut in the defense budget. I’d like to squeeze the balls of some of these defense contractors – we can start with GE and Boeing – two notorious lefty groups. Let’s put thousands of these corrupt union types out on the street. 😉

I think as far as defense spending goes perhaps we should decide how we look at. Is as a % of GDP the right way to do it or should we go straight $ expenditure?
    I dug up this interactive budget guide from over at the Times. Check it out,please do. Make sure to click on the “hide mandatory spending” and watch the ideologically divide show through. Scary.

Rutherford if you let me keep the 13% i’ll let you privatize SS but you knew that. Yes you are correct that many many GOPers are as guilty of fearing the “Third Rail” Thing is no matter your party affiliation the train that uses the third rail is gonna kill us all.

Dog I’d hope you would admit that when it comes to entrenched politicians at any level it doesn’t matter the (x) after the name it ultimately ends up being pork/populist time. Kinda as noted in the post contextually.

10. How ’bout this idea gentlemen: You work most of your life, you put aside money for retirement and that’s it. NO SOCIAL SECURITY

I’d love to. I could get a better return on the FICA withholding from my savings account, and be taking away something that the government never had the authority to do in the first place. Sounds like a win/win, which is better than the pay all my life, not have the money to set aside because I’m being compelled to hand it over, and still have nothing at retirement (which is a joke to me anyway).

R, you want a serious proposal, I’ll go you one better.

If your 50 or older, you get your SS. As much as I find the program loathsome and an unlawful usurpation of power by the Federal Government, I understand that people in that age group have based their lives and planning on the assumption that it will be there for them.
    Anyone younger? They will foot the bill for Chin and Dawg, but their retirement is their own business.
    IN EXCHANGE, the FICA rates are held where they are PERMANENTLY.
    If the revenue is insufficient to make the payments to the grey panthers, then the Federal Government will have to start redirecting funds from the budget to repay all those IOUs, and they MUST balance the budget every year. No more borrowing to cover up the budget hole. The first place they can start to “find” money for the budget? Start cutting Congressional pensions and retirement bennies. If you aren’t repulsed by the idea of a one term congress critter getting a pension and health care for life, then you can just give the government all of your oney and they can stop stealig from me.

11. BiW, what? No cuts in the defense budget? Naaaah, I thought not.

R, what I listed was a start, not the entire plan. You might have noticed that I was starting with things that aren’t really in the Federal Government’s perview. Defense is actually one of their legitimate duties. We look at what they spend, but it doesn’t get cut completely.

12. Well? here is my idea (s).

The defense department needs to cut it’s appetite, and those that follow CLO know that I am anything but a non supporter of our military. We could start with going back to the tried and true 45 ACP caliber hand guns, and piss on NATO. Link that back to Alfie’s previous post. Let’s stop trying to have several Air Superiority Airframes, for now anyways. Go with the Raptor, service tailored, and leave it at that, at least for a few years. Keep producing the F 15 series for ANG’s. It’s never been beaten, ever. Keep producing the F 16 series for sheer numbers on the cheap. Invest in America’s defense by bringing the Coast Guard into this century, the Coasties need a new fleet; PERIOD!

Social Security: What a crock! Back in High School our class did a study, and found that, at that time? Based upon estimated earnings, each student would have to live to about ninety years of age just to re-coup what has been paid in… And that was when you could retire at sixty… What might be some solutions..? First, those of us that have paid into this beast..? We got screwed… Thanks Rutherford , and your ilk… Your asinine assumptions are specifically why the hell I don’t visit your Blog…

Tex: Love ya’ Bro, but my better half is an HTG Scientist that works at BLM. She get’s paid roughly one half what she would realize in the private market. Now, let’s look at things. Professionally degree’d people earn roughly one half what their privately employed counterparts do.

Sorry folks, I am just too pissed t0o post.

It’s is perhaps a Ranger thing… Or, more probably, a Jarhead Brat thing.

Rutherford and Yeller’ Dog? Both of you talk trash. You both have the same IP addy…

I am thinking that you should come and take a look around. Look at Tex, Myself, as well as others.
    Come and kill me… It really is that simple. None of us are that damned hard to find.

Patrick I don’t know what you’re smoking tonight but you need to find a better dealer.

I paid into SocSec too. I’m getting screwed like everyone else. My 401K also went to hell in a hand-basket. The fact is I turn 50 next year and I will work until the day I die. I will never be able to afford to “retire”. The promises made to you and Tex and the others here were made to me also and they turned out empty.

Unlike you, I don’t ascribe any malicious motive to the folks who made the promises. The idea was laudable. In exchange for people working their ass off most of their lives, give them some money to help them live an easier life in their older years. It was a great idea that didn’t work.

By the way, if you consider pointing out the empty cost cutting rhetoric of the GOP, talking trash then I plead guilty as charged.

14. Natassia says:

And socialists don’t do that? ;-P

It is human nature to take the path of least resistance. It requires a spiritual transformation to incentivize someone to do the noble thing even if it’s also the most uncomfortable.

So, what is the right answer?

We need God. We personally need God. Without that, we will always turn to the government (unless one has the courage… or stupidity, whichever it may be, to be an anarchist.)

Don’t take me too seriously when you see the “Yeller Dawg” contained in one of my posts. Alfie, Rutherford and BIC know when I’m serious and when I’m not. I sometimes forget other people who don’t know me from Adam might be taking all of the screed. I’m sure your wife under appreciated and under valued – most scientists are.

I just want Yeller Dawg to feel some incredible amount of personal pain because the hack is such a revolting, ignorant, repugnant “thing.”

However, I would like to see much of our defense contracting cut. I believe a tremendous amount of the cost is sheer waste.