GOP:Cleaning House or Self Destruct. an in2thefray poll

Feel free to add comments in the thread and note this post is a semi open thread.

1. bvilleyellowdog says:

The GOP has gone into the Reichwing ditch before. In 1964 it was little old ladies in tennis shoes, now GOP-Teabaggers, islamophobes, witchcraft, haters of fellow man. Goldwater won 6 states…. The only question is will the GOP ever recover or will it become another forgotten party? – Know Nothings? Whigs?

A lot of good TV coming on O’Donnnell. Better stock up on popcorn…

I voted “something else”. The old days of my declaring the GOP today’s Whigs and predicting self destruction are over. I think I underestimated the anger (combined with the stupidity) of the American people. When folks are cornered and they want simple solutions they look to leaders with simple answers. The latest crop of far right candidates provide these simple solutions and provide catharsis for a scared and angry nation.

I can’t predict the longevity of the current mood of the nation but I no longer dismiss it. Dem’s mock the far right at their own risk. (And to make matters more complicated, the so called “GOP elite” cannot afford to mock either.)

Also, in reply to Dog … these clips of O’Donnell while tremendously entertaining amount to nothing. She was clearly a young woman with a bad case of arrested development. It’s like watching the musings of a 14 year old (“If you masturbate, what am I here for?” “I dabbled in witchcraft.”) All these clips airing in endless loops will do is increase her Palin-like victimization status and send more campaign dollars rolling in.

The way to defeat O’Donnell is to call out her current lies and lack of any real political policy agenda.

Rutherford although the ad redux may very well have the effect you claim I think that particular apple isn’t too far from her current policy tree. I kind of touched on that and the rest my “drone” opinions of her in my other post

5. bvilleyellowdog says:

appeal to anger and stupidity – err like Hitler? Could be…. The brown shirts are marching

6. People that want a return to Constitutional principles are “Brown Shirts?”

Yeah, right!

Well Dog, while we don’t help our cause by throwing the Hitler name around, I do believe you have struck upon the secret fear that lies within every liberal, namely that if some of these wingnuts come to power we will witness serious setbacks in social policy. It won’t be concentration camps but it won’t be pretty either.

8. hippieprof says:

Honestly, Rutherford, I think some of them want to have liberals hauled off and shot…. and I don’t think I am being paranoid. Judging by the hate speech, at least, some of the ultra-right wing wouldn’t think twice about pulling the trigger.

9. Judging by the hate speech

Hypocrite, thy name is “Journolist”, or do you only deign to call it what it is when it is meant for public consumption. Fantasies about throwing people through plate glass windows, wishing that people would get really awful cancers…but please, continue to tell us about the awful hate on the right.

Touche there BIC. I was thinking of reaching out to Hippie in intervention fashion. He has a bad case lately and he has admitted it. I imagine he may have seen it but I saw a Jon Stewart re-run and thought of him. The show was where he “announced” his 10/30 gathering. It was funny and pretty much pure Stewart but he did play fair in showing Bush Hitler as well as Obama Hitler images and tossed in Code Pink nutters along with the birthers.
    Deep breathes are in order methinks as well as being a little bit more open that the anger isn’t so exclusive to the right of center.

11. I thought about it too, Alfie, but I came to the conclusion that based on some of his most recent statements, a rational discussion wasn’t going to be possible at this time. But certainly, there is no shortage of heated rhetoric on the left.

12. hippieprof says:

Are we still rattling on about Journolist? As I said at the time, it was a whole lot of bark without much bite. Really, what much was proven after all of that selective revelation other than “Spencer Ackerman is a jerk.” Take out Ackerman’s crazy comments – how much was there, at all?

As I said to Tex over at my place earlier – of course there is a left-wing media bias these days: You guys have redrawn the line so that even David Frum and Kathleen Parker and Christopher Buckley are liberals. Hell – some people even think Alfie is a liberal! When you redraw the line there you can’t really expect the media just to follow along and redraw their own line.

13. hippieprof says:

BTW – one big difference is that 20 percent of the nation are not following along with the rhetoric of the “code pink nutters” – while apparently 20 percent of the nation are taken in by the birthers. Insanity….

I find it hard to believe the anti Bush,Halliburton,Cheney folks didn’t have 20% going for them hippie

15. Whoa!! “Birthers” are haters? When did we redefine “Haters”?
    I think that they are wasting time, but they are also egged on by a man who has spent millions to avoid simple discovery requests in multiple lawsuits all over the country…while I personally could give a rat’s ass, I hate to see those kinds of resources squandered, and while I find the guys from Perkins Coie to be tremendously overrated, they don’t usually give bad advice, which does nothing to quiet the question such behavior raises.

Journolist is just one example. Ed Shultz, Keef Olbedouche, and others are out there too.

Oh boy … I hate to throw a Molotov cocktail into the proceedings, but birthers are beyond haters. They are rank racists of the first order. If John McCain had been elected, Orly (certifiably insane) Taitz would not be tying up precious court time to say he was born in Panama.

Birthers are beyond contempt and I lack patience for anyone who even lifts a finger to defend them.

17. But its OK for Obama’s attorneys to waste money and court resources fighting the discovery requests…no, nothing to see there. Move along.

18. hippieprof says:

BiW said: But its OK for Obama’s attorneys to waste money and court resources fighting the discovery requests…no, nothing to see there. Move along.

BiW, you know very well that thediscovery requests are nothing but fishing expeditions – and the best ways to put a stop to such an expedition is to post a “no fishing” sign – regardless of whether there are any fish to be caught.

19. HP, as an attorney, I tell my clients that the best way to show that there is no “there” there is to actually show it, rather than to spend millions in one lawsuit after another to fight having to actually show that there is no “there” there.

Put another way, all he had to do to make the suit go away is to produce the document. Now if there wasn’t a reason not to, then this should have been a no-brainer. There still might be nothing to it, but you don’t put the issue to bed by with refusals that only lead to more suits.

And that’s putting aside the dubious notion that no citizen, no matter the capacity, does not have standing to ask. Again, I think it is a wasted effort, but I don’t believe team Obama has been reasonable or rational in their approach to it.

20. Am I not correct that, as an attorney you would rather have something ruled inadmissible then to have it entered into evidence where opposing counsel could twist it into an incorrect implication?

As an attorney, I pick my battles carefully.

If I have to go to Court, then I do so with the understanding that I do not want to be going back again, and again, and again, because regardless of what you might believe, or what you want to believe, everytime in the courtroom is a crapshoot. Any litigator will tell you that you can have the facts and the law on your side and still lose. You can have the facts and the law against you, and win. You make your case as best you can, and trust that you are doing it well.

21. bvilleyellowdog says:

Newt – Muslims the new Red Menace. No better than McCarthy waving phoney paper around and claiming there were commies everywhere.

22. No better than McCarthy waving phoney paper around and claiming there were commies everywhere.

Your extraordinary ignorance wouldn’t be quite so tragic if you actually had a good excuse for it. Sadly for you, this simple isn’t the case.

You could cure it by reading “Blacklisted By History”, by M. Staton Evans.

You might also try picking up a copy of the Venona Papers, and getting someone to help you with the big words as you work through it.

I’m sure we could have a fascinating discussion about all the “history” you know that simply isn’t true, but it might be more productive if you actually started with some facts, rather than the anti-canonnization that the left has given him over the years.

23. rajasa says:

I think we should look this “Brown Shirts?” in a different way, look what the world says ..

24. El Tigre says:

Rutherford, HP and Bville, is this the type uninformed hate mongering you’re referring to?

25. El Tigre says:

Speaking of Obama’s legal resources:

Look out. This could get real ugly for the DOJ.

(This was a semi open thread).