Holders Hold=strangling justice?

I had a post Hold on Holder back in 01/09 that looked at why I thought Holder would be bad news. Given that there was a minor buzz recently as the media revisited the New Black Panther fiasco in Philly I thought I would revisit Holder myself.

In doing so I came across a quote:

In 1996, Holder told the Washington Post that he always carried a favorite quotation in

his wallet. A black man’s “race defines him more particularly than anything else,” it ran.

Said Holder: “I am not the tall U.S. Attorney, I am not the thin U.S. Attorney. I am the

black U.S. Attorney. . . . There’s a common cause that bonds the black U.S. Attorney with

the black criminal or the black doctor with the black homeless person.” All blacks share a

power are a moral imperative.

Now as much as I can see Eric is indeed black and shares a legacy of negatives with people of color,the thing is HE IS the US Attorney General. The AG for ALL Americans.He is a failure.

See also the previous Fray It takes a Village for a take on the latter portion of Holders ’96 classic.

Others who have touched on the subject in threadsRutherford

1. graychin says:

I went looking for the source of Alfie’s quote, and here it is the first hit:

Google Hit for opening of quote found in post.#2 entry is site in question

Digging a little deeper, I found something like Alfie’s quote in a Washington Times editorial of 9/17/09 (I can’t link to it because of the link limitation), complete with the same ellipsis that Alfie copied (what was left out?), and the same mashup of Holder’s words such that it’s hard to tell where Holder’s words end and someone else’s commentary begins.

Holder did NOT say “All blacks share a “common cause,” and thus, methods of election that give them proportional legislative power are a moral imperative” – although your post implies otherwise.

Alfie, this sort of thing really gets my goat. If you’re going to use “damning” quotes from someone, and it’s too much trouble or too time-consuming for you to find the original source for a blog post, they you are no more credible than my crazy sister-in-law who says in her deranged and endlessly-forwarded emails that our “half Kenyan president” (sound familiar?) is a “secret Muslim” running our “Christian nation” into the ground.

So after all our discussion over at Rutherford’s, you STILL think that Holder and Obama were just “helping out a brotha” in “Panthergate”? Seriously?

Better hide under the bed – “THEY” are taking over OUR country! 😀

Well gray my quote came from
    your research is flawed. I’ll take the hit that I didn’t include it here but I did put it at Rutherfords.I did that since he felt compelled to include a more recent NRO piece by her.

Also I see something about your general complaint…. I also see that the “” marks clearly define for the reader what Holder said.

4. graychin says:

I had found the National Review article, but it seemed to be derived from the same Washington Times editorial. That was as far back as I was able to trace it.

I would love to know what Holder said in its entirety. I’m very suspicious of ellipses in the Washington Times. They aren’t always “fair and balanced.”

Everything I see says Gerson writes for the Post not the Times. For what its worth even though she would be placed in my camp I don’t know if I agree/like Thernstrom.
    Also FWIW I will likely have severe reservations of Holder forever,especially given his past actions and the NBP thing. I do though support that his office has now taken a better step re AZ,has fought cases he personally probably is against and is battling personal convictions and best case issues on the GWOT/KSM/OBL front.

As a matter of personal integrity…
    I have to say I am openly offended by the n___mania place. I’m leaning towards deleting that link. I’m torn. On one hand I don’t like having people think I support that kind of thing. I have a history of deleting VDare and Stormfront linkage.There is also a part of me that likes to think nay firmly believe graychin doesn’t support the stuff there and holds me in higher regard than thinking i do.

Graychin,

We’ve argued this before. The fact of the matter is that if Holder were not black or Obama’s pal, he wouldn’t be Attorney General. Now you’ll deny that as something racist. But let’s not forget it was Holder that excused the biggest tax cheat in U.S. history and admitted as much (something he said he regretted – regretted getting caught more like).

Holder is neither that competent, nor honest. has a record of dishonesty, has shown that he is more than happy to categorize people by color (something that is not acceptable as Justice) and if Obama were smart, he would admit that to himself and ask Holder to step quietly aside.

Holder is hurting Obama more than he is hurting America.

8. graychin says:

Alfie, you know very well that I don’t agree with that link. Heck, I don’t even agree with your watered-down version of the same gripe. But be assured that I do hold you in much higher regard than the morons who maintain a web site like that.

I posted the link because it really was my top Google hit, and because you should know who else is singing the same song as you – in four-part harmony.

Rather than deleting my link, how about just editing it to say “n****rmania” – I would have no objection to that. In fact, I encourage it.

I have created a final edit. It is a link that’ll send one to the Google page. it currently has nro in first. n—-mania second and me third.People can click as they desire. I think your point stands with this option in place.
    You make a good point regards the harmony etc. and that feeds into my previous of right wing left wing insanity and inanity.Sadly there are folks that take legit concerns and pimp them into oblivion forever tainting the point.
    All in all I must stand by everything I’ve said about Holder as it is clearly on the record.
    Thanks

More Video of the Delightful Man Holder Decided to Let off the Hook: Calls to Arm Themselves, Fight Cracker Police…

11. El Tigre says:

Yeah. You and Rutherford really tackled that one.

Here are two links both by journalist Adam Serwer that should lay some of the New Black Panther stuff to rest. I’ll post this over on my thread also.

The first link reminds us that the NBPP actions were downgraded from criminal to civil by the Bush administration.

The second link indicates that career lawyers at the DoJ made the call on stopping the civil case with no evidence that this went as high as Holder. Their decision was based on an over-statement in the complaint about widespread NBPP activity that never actually materialized. Furthermore, there was evidence that the NBPP came out not to intimidate white voters but to ensure that black voters would be allowed to vote. (This is consistent with the fact that the dudes were at a predominantly black polling place. There were few whites to intimidate and NONE complained of intimidation.)

The attempt to imply wrong intent on the part of the DoJ also falls flat. An assistant deputy AG (Julie Fernandes) is quoted as saying the DoJ will not pursue lawsuits against minorities. Besides the fact that only one person claims she said this, she could not have said this in relation to the NBPP case because she did not work at DoJ at the time.

I discovered Adam Serwer’s articles via a source I will not reveal since he is reviled by every conservative I know. 🙂

One thing I find frustrating about this whole thing is the lack of full and detached perspective.
    The DoJ as with any of the executive bureaucracies, there is a continuum. The out and the in have a passing of the torch. this has been seen for good and bad between the W and O Administrations. To put forth Holder has nothing on this is crazy talk.
    Also as the case was downgraded by all the normal parameters of legal=dom I can’t help but feel like I am alone that this incident was wrong. This isn’t a partisan issue. I want my democracy to be clean and healthy. A green person with pink spots shouldn’t be allowed outside a polling place.
    I honestly fear the only lesson we as Americans will take from this is that if any given side digs long enough,spins fast enough etc. the wrongs won’t be the focus. That is a shameful thing folks.

Oh please do,I am curious.

15. Hucking Fypocrites says:

He finally admitted at his blog it was Olby.

These guys talk shit about those of us who watch Fox News and read conservative websites, and then they don’t have the stones to admit where they are getting their information.

Following up Rutherford find I have found that Serwer has also joined the ranks of failed researchers.
    Almost any date (Bush era or Obama era) etc etc of what some of the most feverish controversy derives from can be gleaned from:
    a plethora of pdf’s