Hayward beats Congress

I’m not saying I like it but from everything I’ve seen BP CEO Tony Hayward played Congress easy. The sub-committee panel chaired by Bart Stupak showed that they were little more than petty,precocious and pathetic.

Pundits decrying Hayward’s evasiveness are failing to realize he performed the role he was cast in. The Congress Critters wanted to put on a show and the multi million dollar man showed up and took the licks. After a while it became obvious that he wasn’t going to give the panel his blood and that enraged them further.

Congressional panels of inquiry are pretty much always a waste of time and tax payers money. This one proved to be no exception.

1. PanAm says:

Amen, Alfie…

2. graychin says:

Congressional hearings are all for show. That doesn’t make them a waste of time and money.

We must have watched different hearings, Alfie. The one that I saw was mostly about Hayward answering “I don’t know – I wasn’t involved in that.” Hayward sat there dumbstruck when Waxman pointed out that he had sent the questions to Hayward in advance. Hayward just hadn’t bothered to find out the answers to the questions.

Why? Because Hayward was just fulfilling his role in the show – giving away nothing, admitting to no negligence or irresponsible short-cutting in spite of assurances that during Hayward’s administration BP has been focused on safety “like a laser.”

When things deteriorate to the congressional hearing stage, the poor guy in the dock is in a pretty hopeless situation. Anyone with any real-world sense would say “We screwed up royally, and here are the details. I had help in screwing up, but I take full responsibility.” But that isn’t the way the show works. Circling the wagons and admitting nothing, answering no questions, offering no helpful information – that’s the path that most of these guys choose.

So Hayward gets a nomination from me for this year’s Gonzo Award – named after former attorney general Alberto Gonzales, who holds the world record for saying “I don’t recall.”

Well he is no longer the head guy but I doubt that is based on what it will be spun s. It is all about internal BP concerns. Whether he is later set up as the fall guy only time will tell.
    Gray from my seat the reps looked pathetic. I have no problem with the “don’t recall” and “wasn’t involved” as I believe it to be the truth

4. graychin says:

I have no problem with the “don’t recall” and “wasn’t involved” as I believe it to be the truth.

It probably was. But I like to go into a meeting well-prepared. What would motivate someone to go into a Congressional hearing with as few facts and explanations as possible, having known most of the questions in advance?

Why should he answer anything since this witch hunt is still going?

6. graychin says:

Perhaps the BP board was less impressed with Hayward’s appearance before Congress than Alfie was.

To be honest I think BP is open to compensation on a PR stance. I think they are equally concerned about opening the flood gates of populism. Seriously I get being angry at BP but there has to be something to be said of Transocean,Haliburton and MMS too.
    It reminds me of Bostons Big Dig ceiling collapse. The State succeeded in getting someone. The smallest,probably least culpable company involved. Now quite apples to apples I concedebut I think you get it.

Yeah I saw that and commented. I stand by my take.the spear is being set for Mr. hayward me thinks.

“To be honest I think BP is open to compensation on a PR stance.”

Its not the “president’s” job to demand compensation.

Well he can demand it but shouldn’t expect it. That BP is open to stopping its fiscal bleeding is what I meant and that is heavy in the PR dept.

What gives him the authority to demand it Alfie? Sounds like an abuse of power.

12. Kind of reminded me of the hearings where Hillary had such poor memory…

13. graychin says:

Patrick, which hearings were those? Nothing like that happened at Hillary’s hearings to become Secretary of State.

Were there Congressional hearings where she dodged and evaded like Hayward and Gonzo? If there ever were any – I can’t recall! 😀

Do we need a White House literacy program?

This isn’t the first time we’ve had to ask this question, but this may be a more embarrassing example of the problem. My friend Scott Johnson at Power Line notes a multitude of formatting and spelling errors in an official release on the White House web site. The Obama administration published an important letter to G-20 leaders on the eve of a critical meeting on economic policy, one in which Obama wants to assert American leadership and demand a continuation of his Keynesian policies. Unfortunately, this letter should give pause as to whether the Obama White House can handle a word-processing program, let alone economic policy (via HA reader ClericalGal on Twitter).

Here are a few examples, emphasis mine:

How the drones can support this regime so blindly is frightening.