Medicare and ObamaCare…

Billions cut,billions new spending urgently needed. Am I missing something?

Obama and GOP bicker over doctors’ Medicare pay

1. It’s called “slight of hand”, and this “crisis” will give yet another opportunity to blame Bush.

2. graychin says:

The part that I missed is the part where McConnell specifies which “spending cuts elsewhere” he wants to make.

It’s easy to talk about spending cuts in the abstract. But the “deficit hawks” rarely get specific about where to cut. Why is that?

3. Maybe Harry Reid cut him off. Obama won, you know. He doesn’t want to hear from the people who “created the mess.” And yet, he keeps talking. Odd that.

4. Hucking Fypocrites says:

Yeah, as I said at your blog Graychin.

It’s easy to talk about the GOP never giving ideas (which is actually a bunch of bullshit). But Democrats have made it perfectly clear from the first week Obama entered the White House that they are the ones in charge, and any attempt to even suggest things that are contrary to their wants will not be considered.

The entire country, and all its current problems, rest squarely on your plate. You own them. All of them. Because that is exactly what you wanted.

5. graychin says:

Huck, none of that would prevent Mitch from sharing his ideas for spending cuts with the press. If they are good ideas, or just bad ideas better than Obama’s ideas, they would catch fire with the deficit hawks and Obama would have no choice but to implement them ASAP.

So – where ARE Mitch’s spending cut ideas? Obama and the Congressional Democrats may not want to know, but I do.

Don’t YOU want to hear them?

My problem with the report though is that it is a fact that Medicare was to experience Billions in cuts so as to finance PPAC,now even before it goes into effect we need to float Billions into Medicare?

7. The only thing I want to hear is why do we need to pour money into an entitlement program that it was allegedly safe to take up to 400 billion from.

Because Congressman Grayson and the White House haven’t yet figured out how to kill all those old people and convincingly blame it on the Republicans. DUH!

8. The Center Square says:

But why are Republicans not speaking to the PEOPLE about where they would cut spending? So what if Obama won’t do what Republicans want him to do — duh! He’s the majority elected president, and they’re the minority. Are people REALLY saying that’s why Republicans won’t reveal any detailed plans to balance the budget? Naive.

I’d guess the same reason the Dems don’t tell us all the truth-cowardice.
    Bottom line is if you want to maintain the entitlement programs as so called mandatory spending you better get ready for 40% tax rates. We the people need to revisit the whole entitlement idea.

10. graychin says:

Alfie, are you saying that the Republicans are cowards – just like the Democrats?

Sure sounds like it.

Who is trumpeting their desire for these unspecified spending cuts? It’s not the Democrats, other than the worthless Blue Dogs.

11. The Center Square says:

@ Alfie: I agree. I don’t know if I would use the word cowardice, exactly, though. It is more that the accomplished members of the political class have learned that if they feed us a steady diet of “Of course you can eat cookies all day long and not gain weight,” they will get elected and re-elected. If they preach, “You’ll need a balanced diet of wholesome vegetables, grains and a bit of meat here and there to maintain your health,” we throw them out.

It is a classic dilemma. The very things that lead to success for the individual candidate take us down a dangerous road as a whole. Ultimately, our financial risks will not dissipate until we are ready to reject right wing candidates who promise fiscal responsibility without tax increases and left wing candidates who promise fiscal responsibility without spending containment.

You are sooo right when you write, “We the people need to revisit the whole entitlement idea.” We the people must de-electrify the third rail. Only then can candidates succeed who give us a dose of reality.

12. The Center Square says:

Also @ Alfie: I don’t mind the prospect of 40% tax rates. That is lower than most of our country’s modern history, during most of which we flourished.

USA Today recently reported that our national average tax rate (federal, state, local) had reached a 60-year low. I mean, c’mon conservatives: how can the argument be sustained that we are overtaxed? When will people come to the self-awareness that the tax cut fever of the past 25 years was all about selfishly wanting to pay less in taxes (who doesn’t?) and not at all about prudent fiscal policy ($13 trillion in federal debt).

Read more here: http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/taxes/2010-05-10-taxes_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip.

TCS. That 40% will be on the folks that never paid that much and I don’t mean the tax dodgers(90%) of the Ike era. Thanks for the comments though. Other than my word choices I like seeing I’m not alone.

Yes I am. I’m curious though what unspecified cuts are you speaking of?

15. graychin says:

I’m curious though what unspecified cuts are you speaking of?

So are we all! 😀

Perhaps you could direct me to some of the specific spending cuts proposed by Republicans. You may skip over the stimulus money that they bragged about bringing home to their districts.

As you may note in my counters/agreements with Center Sq. I am more than open to the bipartisan approach of calling all those at the trough guilty.
    Again real life makes for bad blogging. This post and its linked article are about the Admin. being worried about Medicare funding shortfalls. I found it funny in light that PPAC requires Medicare to be raped. You’d almost think Sebelius would not pay the docs and say PPAC is ahead of schedule. In that light I hope you see better where I’m standing.

“Perhaps you could direct me to some of the specific spending cuts proposed by Republicans.”

How about ThuggyCare? Start with that.