Alfies Electoral Playbook II:SCOTUS Pick

Well I’m forced to have an opinion based on the assumptions and reporting of others. Never the less I am will ing to take a position on President Obama’s SCOTUS pick. The irony here is I don’t know if I believe he’ll pick anyone that is publicly “known” on everyone’s lists.

First the NOT’s

Hillary Clinton: It has been reported she’s out and seeing as I must subscribe to the book of consistency I don’t think O fears her in ’12.

Janet Napolitano: Really?!?! Once bit twice shy I say. She sucks and the only progressive point she triggers is met by the HuffPo front-runner who is by far more qualified.

My 3

Elena Kagan: A fave among many and one that has attracted the immediate attention of the Right.She has got to be a contender. She is female.likely a lesbian,and judicially qualified. She’s lived in progressive academia circles and when you get down to brass tacks ,actually could pass open-minded Republican committee muster.In fact on the last point I’ve seen liberals balking on her possible ascension. She of course could be a Trojan Horse ideologically speaking. She is also a good candidate on the longevity chart.

Diane Wood: Accomplished jurist who would be a good pick. Her cons of course being she is straight and white her pros being she has breasts.She scores well on the longevity chart too. I don’t have much to say on Wood since she is just qualified and in an ideal world that would be good enough.

Leah Ward Sears: My personal pick if I were to play Obama-for-a-day. Accomplished yet usable to check off an identity politics box. History of support from Zell Miller,this is good press wise going into hearings and she scores well on the longevity chart.

I can’t see Michigan Governor being picked (Granholm=idiot) nor can I see Obama risking Senate seats. The two white guys (Garland&Thomas) are no goes due to longevity and lack of diversity. Obama can go outside the box and pick a non-judicial type ,I doubt it as per his own words:

And while we cannot replace Justice Stevens’ experience or wisdom, I will seek someone in the coming weeks with similar qualities — an independent mind, a record of excellence and integrity, a fierce dedication to the rule of law, and a keen understanding of how the law affects the daily lives of the American people.  It will also be someone who, like Justice Stevens, knows that in a democracy, powerful interests must not be allowed to drown out the voices of ordinary citizens.Time

related Frays

SCOTUS Pick=No Change

Alfies Electoral Playbook I

Personally, I favor Sarah Palin:

1. While never a judge, was judged in a beauty pageant.
    2. Has breasts.
    3. Good on longevity.
    4. Would get her out of Obama’s hair for the rest of her life.
    4a) Mitigating factor, has tendency not to finish what she starts so might quit.
    5. Would get her out of public spotlight since judges must keep low press profile.
    6. Confirmation hearing would beat American Idol in the ratings and be far more entertaining.

Do you have a serious pick?

OK, seriously, I have trouble predicting this one other than to say I can’t see him choosing Napolitano. There has been so much heat over the way she is running DHS that I think she might get raked over the coals in a confirmation hearing.

Are there no Asians among the short list? If he wants to make history again from a minority POV he might want to find an Asian jurist.

Well like I said the short list is what the short list is. From your talk I could offer up Harold Koh currently working as States legal advisor. He faced a lot of false criticism and he recently really crushed that criticism writhing on how drone attacks on pakistan is A-OK. He is controversial none the less given he approves of international law impacting US law.
    Previous Fray

“He is controversial none the less given he approves of international law impacting US law.”

“Controversial”? That alone should disqualify him.

I was just providing an answer to the Asian jurist candidate thing. I would oppose Koh

“I was just providing an answer to the Asian jurist candidate thing.”

Why even play the race card? The race card is for drones and marxists.

I like to play it straight when I talk about topics especially identity politics.

I would think straight would be suggesting the most qualified candidate.

I think you’re confusing my “analysis” of the alleged short list and my comments as some sort of sell out.I personally believe in strict Constitutionalists. I am however able to recognize that we don’t live in the ideal scenario.

I guess thats where we differ. I would just tell these marxist drones to shove their identify politics up their collective asses.

Well, interestingly, no sooner did you bring up Koh, than I saw him “reviewed” by Georgetown Law Professor Jonathan Turley. The verdict was that Koh is a brilliant jurist but would displease the far left due to his civil liberties record. Alfie, does that square with what you know about him?

Just out of curiosity, having read your article on Koh, why do you so vehemently oppose the ICC?

Rutherford I think the general Left can find happiness with Koh. As for me and the ICC basically since I live and breath my mantra of Sovereignty Matters I cannot abide anything that usurps US sovereignty. Specifically as relates to Koh I cannot abide by other nations using the ICC to charge US forces with crimes.

Drones abhor US sovereignty

Kagan not a lesbian
    So the WH identity politics humps are out to squash a nasty right wing rumor that the possible pick isn’t a lesbian.
    Too funny! Way to love the Constitution. Now she has to stay in the closet until Obama leaves office.