Bolivia and Affirmative Action…

There are just too many articles to link to. Suffice to say if you search bolivia gender parity law you’ll see any number of stories.

I try to like Bolivia and hold out hope it won’t go the way of Hugoland. History is essentially why I have the view I do regards Bolivia.I have to say I am a bit disappointed in Morales latest feat though.

The gender parity coup he has unleashed will either allow all Bolivians to  view females in position of authority as a good thing,or it will swerve the nation onto a slippery road backwards. I am thinking the levels of affirmative action that has occurred makes the latter more likely,at least on the short term.

The system that has been activated basically sets up two things to become reality. These don’t necessarily need to happen singularly either. More the pity.

A case can be made that the females are as open to the disease of corruption and ineptness as anyone that has come before them.So no matter their potential one must deal with that being in the negative column.

It can also be said that the new girls on the block are really nothing more than window dressing,trophy pols. None of them are to be found within the inner circles of Morales policy making wing.So they are photo ops and policy shills.

In the greater movement towards socialism they play only the minor role of having vagina’s and an office.

1. locojhon says:

Ahhh,,,a Kool-Aid drinker….how delightful!
    I’m glad you at least allowed the women to be announced before trashing them.
    How about we just wait and see….
    Until then, please consider: have you seen even one of Morales’ decisions turn out to be wrong or ill-advised, let alone without good basis and honor? Name me just one.
    Each appointee will serve with distinction and honor, I have no doubt–and far from being “trophy pols”–they are all serious, honorable and hard working. (In the next round of elections though, a previous Bolivian beauty queen will compete for office and she will win—she is educated, engagingly well-spoken, sharp and drop-dead gorgeous.) Oh,,,and MAS. And in the Media Luna, too.
    Morales employs excellent advisers, and his skills are in part developing their advice into a cohesive policy, while honoring the constitution, the will of the people and his heart.
    Your statement that: “A case can be made that the females are as open to the disease of corruption and ineptness as anyone that has come before them. So no matter their potential one must deal with that being in the negative column,” is on its face illogical.
    First off, for all practical purposes, there were no indigenous women before them (and for that matter few indigenous men as well.) So what you are comparing is apples to oranges—the entrenched corrupted Bolivian elite vs. citizens serving as politicians for the benefit of their people (as opposed to only their wallets).
    If susceptibility to the disease of corruption was to be equal (and I’ll give you that it might be in most places other than Bolivia) the conclusion at most can to be a wash–not negative.
    What you also fail to take into consideration is the corruption and corrupted officials that existed before Morales, who will at least in part lose their control. Better yet, especially with the recently elected Congress and ongoing reform of the judiciary, the people who are corrupt will have a chance of receiving justice now that the decades-long institutionally-corrupt government of previous administrations is being slowly but surely reformed. Morales allowed no corruption in MAS, and he has no tolerance for it in his administration or the government they are in charge of. Anyone—MAS included—found to be corrupt are legally dealt with as opposed to swept under the rug. Some of the corrupted understood that, and have decided to leave Bolivia rather than face the justice of their peers.
    Go to Bolivia for awhile with your eyes wide open—you might find an antidote for that Kool-Aid you’ve been drinking.
    Regards,,,locoto

For the rest of your comment you quite frankly don’t deserve my time. You speak of Kool Aid,I’m thinking you’ve never missed a refill .

3. locojhon says:

Alfie,,,
    You stated “The story of the union member fast tracked through congress and into the executive branch simply because of gender is never a good idea no matter the country.”
    Oh really? Does that apply in the USA too? In comparison to a US rep now capable of being put in power by unlimited campaign contributions from any corporate entity? How about fast-tracked and then made president, like Obama?
    How good for any country and how democratic! (yeah, right!)
    Morales is leading Bolivia into a democratic nation the likes of which fellow patriots in the USA still wish we had, but somehow lost decades ago.
    Also, somehow you neglected to “mention just one” of Morales bad decisions, let alone give any reason for your criticisms.
    How convenient.
    With lesser regards,,,locoto

John you are far more adversarial in your comments here than you have ever been on this blog. My actual real world fatigue prevents me from answering your attack and that somehow makes me a bad person.Well I’m slightly recovered so here goes.
    If you read the post you’ll see I’ve maintained my position on Evo and Bolivia.I am consistent and that should mean something.In fact the potential pitfall that is the gender parity law is really the point of the post.I stated that such things are not good for any nation.
    You are a socialist right? At least you must be a supporter of the idea. I am not but concede the rights of people to embrace it. I also fully recognize that socialism seems to be the logical antidote to the ills of imperialism and oligarchy.With that said there really is no reason I need to embrace socialism or believe it is the correct course.
    So, do I think Morales is engaged in a massive populist movement. Yes I do. I also believe that movement is matching the evils it rails against. That is a law of history. So MAS relocates people to effect elections on the national dime. Sure no problem. Lets see what 2014 brings. If there is a fair election,even a victory by MAS candidate hurrah. If Morales stays….

5. locojhon says:

Alfie,,,
    Sorry you feel that way–just trying to correct the record–that’s all.
    Nothing personal–as a matter of fact, I hope you are feeling better.
    Also,,,loved your ‘refill’ comment–got a chuckle out of it.
    I’ll try harder to be corrective without being adversarial.
    You stated “I also fully recognize that socialism seems to be the logical antidote to the ills of imperialism and oligarchy.With that said there really is no reason I need to embrace socialism or believe it is the correct course.”
    Given your logic, you must have been REALLY tired when you wrote that, OR you embrace imperialism and/or oligarchy.
    Did you really mean that?
    Next, you suggest that the relocation efforts that were stipulated/mandated years before Morales was elected, was done by him to change the outcomes of elections.
    Any proof of that, or the effects supposedly accomplished in doing so? Do you understand how few people relative to the voting populations were actually moved?
    You made the claims, and in as non-adversarial way as I can muster, I now ask you to try to justify them with facts (as opposed to conspiracy theory speculation).
    Also, before I forget my previous question, somehow you neglected to “mention just one” of Morales bad decisions, let alone give any reason for your criticisms.
    Still waiting…locoto

if I had a fever I’d be convinced I had pneumonia. Perhaps viral. nonetheless…
    Your discussions are actually enjoyable as I like to think I’m open to other viewpoints.
    My

Is a great example of how if we were having this discussion face to face it would play out differently. the static environment of the keyboard kills things. I recognize how others can embrace socialism and further that left of center is a historical reality in the nations of Latin America. It DOES not mean I support imperialism. I insist I can have it both ways.
    On the relocation efforts. I have to concede my info comes from opposition or at least sympathetic elements and probably fits well under speculation or blatant propaganda. I know from friends in Venezuela that are not against the government although they have some scorn set aside for Chavez personally that red shirt types get housing in areas that help them to act as old time ward bosses. I should not speculate regards Bolivia. I stand guilty.
    As for Morales bad decisions…I didn’t think this post was about me having a litany against him.In fact other than some of sabre rattling towards the USA I don’t think anything other than this law has been all that bad. He’d do well to choose better friends and keep a flame at our feet methinks but there it is. I thought I was pretty clear that this law could play out well. I also parlayed that its failure wouldn’t be unlike similiar failures in other places including the USA. Perhaps only truly talented females will enjoy advancement. I don’t think that holds true in politics regardless of the locale.
    Thanks for taking the time to comment and share your points. On a side note you once left a link for Bolivian news. Would you care to leave a recommendation again? Take care I’m off for now.

7. locojhon says:

Alfie,,,
    It sounds like you are feeling better from your writing–I hope so.
    I’d like to have a face-to-face with you–do you Skype? With video?
    Given your response, it seems we might be much closer in mutually good feelings toward Bolivia and Bolivians than it seemed to me initially. I’m glad this is the only real criticism you have of Morales, and that it was a criticism rooted only in speculation and/or the information from those with a bone to pick. (If I were an elite bastard on top and losing that position and the perks of power, I’d probably scream bloody murder, too.)
    You do indeed seem to be open to new ideas, and that is appreciated, at least by me.
    You might not also be sexist, but that has not yet been proven, at least to me. (Not that you don’t have the right to be, if you choose, and are obviously under no obligation to prove anything to me.)
    Regarding the women’s relative corruptibility, I have no data to back this up, but it seems that in the US, either they aren’t as corrupt or they are smarter about it to prevent getting caught. I’m guessing the first. Or maybe both.
    Regarding your request of a recommendation past or present, first off, are you sure you want one from the likes of me??? Secondly, I don’t doubt I recommended the site, but have not a clue remaining in my gourd as to how. Lastly, I’d have to read the rest of your blogging on this site to see if I in good conscience could still do so.
    If I see a similar openness and don’t see anything too odious, then yes, I would be glad to.
    If I only knew how.
    With much higher regards,,,locoto

Morales is friends with that thug in Venezuela. Thats all I need to know.

My home state has a state rep that got busted for bribes. Pelosi and the somewhat quirky “tuna gate” comes to mind and I don’t know of the top of my head if its Boxer or Feinstein of CA. who has questionable antics regards a spouses construction company and DoD contracts. The line in the post “There are just too many articles to link to.” does a disservice in that some of the stories through me for there overly optimistic attitude. If I have a curse it’s my cynicism and pessimism for sure. I’d also go on record and accept the gringo/jingo tag if I must that political corruption in other places is different than in the USA. Other places you can get killed standing up to grafters etc. I don’t envy pols in many many other parts of the world.In all I do hope anybody that gets the job does well.
    As for linkage. I didn’t mean to get into your personal or “e” space. You once left a incakolanews. It seems to be very interested in metals now and loads slow. No seriously part of my openness policy is if anyone wants to share a book title,article or news source url I’m cool with those being left. For Bolivia and Venezuela I use a number of international entities and then cross check with something like AsiaTimes or PressTV and sometime Venezuelaanalysis(?). I’m left with that since my Spanish is horrendous. I reviewed our previous. It seems we do agree on a number of points which is pretty remarkable seeing as I am rather right of center. Thanks again

Elric I never got around to really sharing my views and reasons regards Latin America. I’m going to real soon.
    I’d pose this thought to you though.
    I don’t like Chavez,but I don’t think Morales is either a clone or a puppet. In fact the more I look at the region I just keep getting fortified in my opinion that Chavez is so passe. I’m starting to wonder how many of the Friends of Chavez (ALBA) would stand with him if other nations including the USA operated with a more mutually respectful tack.