Black Family Weekend,Black Alumni,Black Heritage the key word is …

I heard a story on the local radio and decided to look into it. The story is the Black Student Union of the University of New Hampshire hosted a Black Family Weekend. All said and done the story goes that the supporters and organizers of the event are upset that there wasn’t a good showing of white students. From the school paper:

The biggest criticism from the weekend seemed to be the under-representation of white students at many of the weekend’s events.

“It’s said that the majority of UNH students feel that these events weren’t meant for them or their enjoyment, when the goal of the BSU events are for everyone to enjoy them,” said Fields.

Her sentiment seems to be carried by others.

“I hope white people around here start getting it together and step outside their privileged comfort zones to meet some amazing people and make life at UNH what it could be if we all were less individualistic and more committed to true change,” said Vaughan.

According to their website, the Black Student Union’s main goal, being a sub-group of the Diversity Support Coalition, is to empower and educate the entire UNH community about black identity and culture through social, educational and political programming. Through events such as Black Family Weekend they hope to create a better understanding and more positive atmosphere of blacks throughout the community of UNH. source

So the group that is dedicated to black issues and yet also allegedly dedicated to diversity is miffed that whites didn’t participate. Umm o.k. I’m not getting it. It should be noted that the event didn’t get hit with any reported protests,counter events or anything else. Whites just didn’t show up for an event that was very black in nature.From the group hosting it to the black fist banner to the rap music and “slam” comedy and black alumni meeting. Where exactly is this inclusive ? I don’t see the crime in whites not showing up. I would point out the blatant racism behind striving to have a segreagated element on campus is a joke towards true diversity. For a list of the events happenings try this.

I also would like to point out the bit in the quote about individualistic. Yeah you’re getting your (or taxpayers) moneys worth when your college ed prevents that.

1. eric b says:

I supposed that maybe the event was similar to the “international week” events that a lot of campuses do, where they are intended for all but are ethnic in flavor. I would be interested in finding out more about how it was “marketed.”

2. Angel says:

true my friend!…diversity just isnt working very well now is it?..the select victim dictum groups are favored always! 🙂

3. Victoria says:

I agree – it’s marketing is very isolating. I work in higher ed, a leading university in MA, and our student groups are constantly busy with activities which are very communal and inclusive -which I think is due to the way they “get the word out”. For example, when the Latino group host a dance party – they also hold a pre-party dance classes which ends up having a wide variety of ethnicities present, all interacting, getting to know one another and makes their parties some of the best. To title the event, Black Family Weekend – for the start, not a wise move…perhaps The BSU Family Weekend would have been better.

4. Lord Crimson says:

It’s only natural for people to hang out with those they have the most in common. What expectations are conveyed when you name an event the Black Family Weekend?

How “typically black” to blame whites for not showing up when history proves that one misinterpreted word or phase could result in accusations of racism or even expulsion from school.

Who needs it?

5. in2thefray says:

In a full disclosure kind of way. Vaughn is not black but she’s not a credit to any race so there it is. I will say this though…Why don’t the people that are getting their panties twisted over a lack of white participation…Be happy that you were able to hold a BLACK event.

6. the Grit says:

Hi i,

And I would say that anyone able to attend a major university, regardless of their race, creed, or ethnicity, is living in a privileged comfort zone, insulated in almost every way from the real world and it’s attendant problems.

the Grit