So over on one of Rutherford Lawsons threads the subject of grading Obama came up. I offered up the following in the comments section. The questions/topics/issues were not my choosing…
Grades for Obama
1. Economic policy C-
2. Foreign policy F
3. On how his policies resemble his promises. D+
4. As a Leader F
5. Holding true to the Constitution of the United States of America.C
6. Job Creation W
7. Debt Reduction F
8. Infrastructure D+
9. Achievements (bills passed, budgets..ect.) C
10. Not a pass or fail but has the nation thrived or suffered under his administration overall?neither
I followed up in another comment this:
p.s. there are obvious caveats and reasonings in my grades. Call it the Alfie Curve with a leaning towards item analysis
I think I’d like to build on that and here I go…
1. I find the Administrations economic policy to be pretty sad. it relies on the tired old Keynesian Democrats class envy shit which declares when the do deficit spending it’s o.k. Pathetic. Overall the legacy of the Stimulus will be debt. The Treasury under Timmy G will have a legacy far better than some (R)’s and definitely self proclaimed conservatives will want to admit. All in all though on the Alfie Curve the points are hard to come by and with item analysis other graded matters impact any given graded point.
2. From the outset the best one could say of Obamas actual FP was that he was carrying over Bush’s. I don’t say that was a good thing but I defy anyone to say it isn’t the truth. As his term wore on Obama escalated the neo-con agenda with absolutely zero fine tuning. Obama also continued the saga of US administrations ignoring Latin America and added the Hemispheric outrages of Keystone and Fast & Furious. He fell asleep at the wheel on Russia has been a lamb on China and really really can’t claim credit for the Pacific Pivot since that seems to be a larger bureaucracy laden swing which will roll out regardless of the Oval occupants standing or party. Rounding off things Obama has been ineffective in the tiresome prerequisite piece of foreign policy,the Israel/Palestine thing.
3. Poor idealistic,believing his own press, out of his element mother fucker really had no choice but to make some serious adjustments. He gets a D+ here even though his next category,#4 gets a loud and clear F for the reason that his Administration did indeed address things. Now some would say that part is very true and ask “WTF is up with the D”? Well quite simply the bulk of those policies SUCKED so boom….D
4. Under no circumstance can anyone honestly state Obama has been a good leader. He has been cooperative. He has been a bookmark. He has been a lot of things but by no means a leader. Even folks on his side chide him for not playing the game of having people over to the WH for “chats” and let’s not even go over the “beer summit” thing. He had a finite but clear quantity of capital and he kind of just ignored it and eventually snuffed it. Hell look at his opus,ObamaCare. It was a platform plank. It was a cornerstone to “Hope & Change”. It was totally abdicated to nimrods. On second thought lets go with an F-.
5. I’ve actually been a little harsh here. Since I don’t buy in2 the conspiracy stuff regards the UN “presidency” and the like and that the czar crap is unfortunately the new norm I don’t care. On policy matters he has done some questionable stuff but since I hold to the checks and balance line I can’t blame him for all things that are questionable. Perhaps I could have/should have gone into the B range on this one.
6. I went with Withdrew on this one for a couple of reasons. In fairness to the category he has done nothing good for job creation. One has to spin that a little though that he, or any other POTUS is typically single handedly tied to job creation. Presidents are directly tied to policy though and his have only postponed the civil service issues and “saved” jobs at the cost far and away over the worth. (GM) In reading this I get where some might ask “So hit him with a fail.” I personally can’t get over the tempering agents of the true power of POTUS and the state of the economy has on this one. Also his offering of the jobs bill is such a fucking pathetic joke I can’t take it serious. I’m handing his paper and telling him to try again when he’s up to the challenge and course work.
7. F is being kind on this one.
8. He offered up a token and mildly reinvigorated the discussion we need to have as a nation. The end result is a D+. He actually can’t do better since he,or at least his party,are too tightly tied to the folks that make this such an expensive and formidable task. Still the grade stand,not unlike many of our bridges,in the D range.
9. “How the fuck do you give him a C after some of the things you’ve talked about”???? Quite simply whether good or bad,things I like (NCLB replacement) or things I don’t (any number of things) he has packed up some accomplishments. They don’t read like the ridiculous lists O-bots have on the web and in some formerly respectable publications but he has not just golfed.
10. Muffy asked for clarification on this one specifically. The country with or without him is skidding. We are not in control. We have differing directions we want to go or at least think we should go. These past few years have done nothing much to effect that in either way in my opinion.